The MacGyver cast has several movies in post-production. Also, the MacGyver Musical concept album is out today.
Upcoming Movie Projects for the MacGyver Cast
Several cast members of the MacGyver Reboot have movies in post-production:
- Jamojaya with Henry Ian Cusick premiered at Sundance Film Festival on January 23. There’s no cinematic release date yet. It might be screened at more festivals first.
- The Collective with Lucas Till: I don’t expect a release date announced before early Summer. It’s probably a limited cinematic release or straight-to-streaming.
- Bang with Tristin Mays: An Instagram post back in October stated “April”. Since then, there was no mention of it. The project doesn’t even have an IMDb page. I expect a release straight-to-streaming.
- The Comic Shop with Tristin Mays has wrapped just before Christmas. I expect a limited cinematic release, though it might be shopped at film festivals.
- For Cory with Levy Tran was made by stunt crew mostly. It’s a new production company, so they might try shopping it around at film festivals.
- Expend4bles with Levy Tran: The release date is set for September 22. I expect an US and international cinematic release; including several press circuits.
- The script for Half Baked 2 was written by Justin Hires (who also has a cameo in it). It is planned as straight-to-streaming, but could still get a limited cinematic release.
What are Cast and Crew up to?
We got a few new BtS photos for The Collective; e.g. of the portraits photoshoot by Still Photographer Bryan Marchulaitis or by Sid O’Connell. Sadly, several crew members deleted BtS photos after excited fans had re-uploaded the photos across several social media platforms and websites without giving proper credit.
A second press release by Deadline announced Paul Ben-Victor and Mercedes Varnado as co-stars. In And Action! Podcast Episode 33 regarding stunts, director Tom DeNucci teased the fans that the movie will be very action-packed and stunt-heavy; and that he was very pleased with the first cut after the editing sessions.
It’s been about 3 years, but the promo for Son of the South hasn’t stopped. On February 4, Lucas Till will make an appearance at an honorary screening for Bob Zellner (who’s story the movie is based on) in Seattle.
In the past, the movie had had several screenings with Lucas either joining via video call or the organisators just playing a pre-recorded Q&A, so it will be nice to see him out and about again after such a long time.
Henry Ian Cusick attended the premiere of Jamojaya at Sundance; joining the photo calls and Q&As and enjoying several days at the festival. Including the premiere, there will be 7 screenings in total. The Season Finale of Big Sky aired on January 18. The show hasn’t been renewed yet.
According to Deadline, rebooted Murdoc actor David Dastmalchian has launched his own production company called Good Fiend Films. The company will produce character-driven projects across horror, sci-fi and fantasy for film, television, audio and publishing. The first project released will be horror movie Late Night with the Devil, starring David as a 1970s late-night talk show host. The film will make its world premiere at SXSW Film Festival in Texas this March.
On January 9, Tristin Mays attended the Los Angeles Premiere of the new HBO show The Last of Us. She was accompanied by Marlon Webb.
In a new episode of In My Feelings, Justin Hires talked about why he had stopped auditioning for a while in 2021. He mentioned that he’s developing and producing some shows that have A-list-actors attached. Justin is also working on the script for Homecoming again (a movie that has been in development for quite some time).
Yesterday, Levy Tran posted an Instagram Story with the statement “Yay for knee rehabilitation excercises”; hinting at hurting her knee a while ago. She revealed that she was barely able to walk stairs last month; finally being able to do squats again.
There’s still no news regarding Meredith Eaton or George Eads.
MacGyver The Musical
ICYMI: The release date for the MacGyver Musical Album is set for today. You can find the track list and order the album here.
Singers and producers did several short interviews for promo; for example Brandon Victor Dixon (e.g. with Musical Theatre Radio), Lee David Zlotoff (e.g. for TV Brittany or for Like It’s Live with Peter Lurye) or Tristin Mays (for the Official MacGyver Account).
For people who have subscribed to Lee’s Musical Newsletter, an exclusive interview with Tristin and some BtS footage should drop today as well.
There have been hints about the musical launching stage productions in other cities for a limited run. Since then, there has been no concrete news regarding another stage run being planned or which city will be next.
I’d never produced a musical before. I’d never produced an album before. But I said, “Well, you know, we’ll just MacGyver our way through this.” And that’s exactly what we did.Lee David Zlotoff, via TV Britanny F (January 25)
Other MacGyver-related News
MacGyver Reboot guest star Sheryl Lee Ralph (Mama Colton) won a Critics Choice Award as “Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series” in Abbott Elementary.
Other MacGyver-related news you might have missed:
- Since January 6, ion Mystery airs reruns of ten episodes of the MacGyver Reboot on Fridays.
- The German DVD/BluRay of Secret Headquarters with Levy Tran was released on January 19. The UK version was released on January 23.
- Richard Dean Anderson will attend Steel City Con (March 31 to April 2) in Pittsburgh.
- According to this tweet, RDA will also attend Comic Con Prague (April 14 to 16). He’s not listed on the website yet, but fellow actor Corin Nemec (Stargate SG-1) is.