The Season 5 Finale airs tonight. Meanwhile, the fans keep fighting for Season 6.
(Spoiler Alert: You will get spoilered about Season 5 storylines and characters by reading this post and its comments or by clicking on the links provided. For daily news and to join the discussion, you can find me on Twitter and on the MacGyverOnline Forums.)
About the Rerun of Episode 5×01 (MAC415)
Last week was the rerun of Episode 5×01 (Resort + Desi + Riley + Window Cleaner + Witness). Before the episode aired, we got some new/old BtS material; e.g. by Meredith Eaton.
A few hours in advance, fans were live-tweeting while having a Watch Party of several episodes. At their peak, there were about 349 estimated tweets per hour using the hashtag #MacGyver and about 705 estimated tweets per hour using the hashtag #SaveMacGyver.
During the rerun, there were about 617 estimated tweets per hour using the hashtag #MacGyver and about 1105 estimated tweets per hour using the hashtag #SaveMacGyver. For comparison: #MagnumPI had about 40 estimated tweets per hour and #BlueBloods about 35.
To recap: The last rerun (Episode 4×11 on February 26) had 3.356 million live-viewers and a demo-rating of 0.34. The rerun of Episode 5×01 got 3.158 million live-viewers with a demo of 0.30.
There are some more reruns scheduled for now, but CBS isn’t known for keeping shows on the rotation when they’re already cancelled. In non-pandemic years, the timeslot was often occupied with a reality show over Summer; but filming for non-scripted shows might still be delayed.
If an already existing show takes over the timeslot in Fall, they might put reruns of that show there. In my opinion, most lower-rated CBS crime/drama shows (e.g. SWAT) aren’t really made for Fridays 8pm or don’t really fit with the current line-up at 9pm and 10pm. It’s possible that they will push Magnum PI to 8pm; serving as a lead-in for a new show (e.g. NCIS: Hawaii). The Fall schedule should be revealed at the Upfronts next May.
What you need to know about Episode 5×15 (MAC509)
Tonight is the premiere of the Season 5 Finale aka Episode 5×15 (Abduction + Memory + Time + Fireworks + Dispersal). It was written by Monica Macer, Alessia Costantini, Andrew Klein & Stephanie Hicks and directed by David Straiton.
When Mac and Riley go missing and wake up 24 hours later in a corn field with no memory of how they got there, they must unravel the mystery to find who took them, and how to get rid of the nanotrackers in their bodies, no matter the cost.
On April 22, they released another Season 5 BtS interview video; this time talking about dire situations. We got 4 Sneak Peeks on Wednesday plus two additional Sneak Peeks yesterday: One by TV Line (Casino Sting) and one by TV Insider (Recovery Plot). According to the band “The Phoenix Foundation”, the episode will feature their song “Eventually”; taken from the album “Buffalo” (2015).
On April 29, we also got a new interview with Alexandra Grey (Parker) for Forbes. Alexandra was surprised by the wide praise she received from fans, but also disappointed about the cancellation since she “heard some stuff for next season”.
Today, Matt Mitovich from TV Line just hinted that fans would want to visit the site after the episode; getting to know more about storylines for Season 6 if the show had been renewed.
The #SaveMacGyver Movement
Here’s an update for the achievements of the #SaveMacGyver Movement:
- a petition to renew the show for another season (reaching the mark of 20’000 signatures on April 25); hitting 22’100 signatures as I’m writing this post
- more than 360’000 paperclips being sent to the CBS Studios in LA and NY
- writing a ton of e-mails and letters to CBS executives
- contacting other networks and streaming companies to pick up the series
- setting up an official website plus an Instagram account
- several online articles by news outlets; e.g. by ET Canada, Forbes, CNN, ScreenRant, CBS17 or PopCulture
- setting up a GoFundMe-Page to fund more promo (e.g. billboards, one million paperclips or online ads)
- buying digital billboards in LA (2), New York (Time Square), Phoenix and Atlanta
- setting up a GoFundMe-Page named “Operation Cure Cancer” to collect money for cancer research
While the cast and crew were still under contract, they gave subtle hints that they appreciated our efforts. It seems their contracts are up now and they’re not so subtle anymore.
In an interesting plot twist, Brad William Henke (Jonah Walsh in Episode 2×23) refused to sign the petition; stating that “they told me they were going to bring me back the next season for five episodes and then they just ghosted me”. Fans had always wondered why the character had never been brought back. With his tweet, Brad just revealed that they had indeed set up an entire Walsh storyline – only to drop it later for unknown reasons.
Other MacGyver-related News
There were several more Watch Parties over the week. On the Watch Party on April 24, there were about 175 estimated tweets per hour using the hashtag #MacGyver and about 537 estimated tweets per hour using the hashtag #SaveMacGyver. There will be another Watch Party tonight before the episode airs.
Meredith Eaton kept posting BtS photos of all seasons as Instagram Stories. On April 28, she did an episode for Justin Hires’ “Urban Legendz Podcast”; available as a Patreon Exclusive.
Here’s a short overview of MacGyver-related news in recent weeks you might have missed:
- The Season 4 DVD release date has been set for June 8. So far, there’s no information about any Bonus Features.
- There’s no release date yet for the Season 5 DVD.
- The Reboot was competing in the “Best of TV Awards 2020” held by Canada Graphs. It won Rank 3 in two categories: “Favorite TV Program” and “Best Writing“.
- The cinematic release date for Son of the South in New Zealand and Australia is May 20. The release for France has been pushed to September 8, although it might be moved again with cinemas opening next month.